There are a lot more cars on the U.K. ‘s roads now than there were 20 or 30 years ago. This means that there are a lot more bad drivers out there who think that they are good drivers and so everyone has to drive defensively. The UK driving test is pretty hard to pass and yet when people get the keys of a vehicle and get behind the wheel, they forget everything that they have learned and they drive erratically and dangerously. Almost every family has at least one car and we rely on it heavily to get the kids to school every single day and to do the shopping on the weekends. We also rely on the family vehicle to take us away on the weekends to the beach or somewhere else.
Due to the fact that there are a large number of cars on the roads, you need to make sure that you are driving the right kind of vehicle that will keep both you and your family members safe. One excellent suggestion is the Land Rover Defenders from Nene Overland which have proven themselves time and time again to be one of the safest vehicles currently available on Great Britain’s roads. The thing to remember here is that there is only so much that you can expect from your Land Rover when it comes to road safety and many of the other things will be left up to yourself and your driving abilities. The following are just some of the ways that you can keep you and your family safe on the road.
- Obey the speed limits – It doesn’t matter how late you are and how important it is to get to your final destination on time if your family never gets there because of your bad driving. Speed limits are put in place for a reason and they have done many surveys trying to figure out what speed limit is safe for the particular route. Always keep your eye on the speedometer and make sure that you stay within the rules of the road.
- Check your tyres regularly – Nobody expects you to know the inner workings of a modern combustion engine, but there is no excuse when it comes to the tyres on your vehicle when you are going on a relaxing work trip. If you look on the side of your door, you will see the air pressure needed every time that you go into the petrol station to fill up. Take the time to check the air in your tires to make sure that it is sufficient, don’t put too much because this puts you and your family in danger if you get a blowout and don’t put too little either.
- Drive defensively – This is the only way to drive and you must assume that the cars all around you are bad drivers and that the going to do something stupid. If you drive like this then you will be constantly ready for something that might occur and you can actually see it before it actually happens. This gives you time to pull into the side of the road and to avoid an accident that you know is going to happen ahead of you and it usually does.
- Install a dash cam – This is a great addition for any vehicle and thankfully they do, standard on most of the Land Rover is currently available. These dash cams will allow you to reverse into a space in safety and also know who exactly is behind you. In the event of a road traffic accident, you will have footage of what exactly happened and this helps the police to make the right decision when it comes to apportioning blame and hopefully it will not be you.
- Regular service intervals – It is very important that you get your vehicle checked on a very regular basis to make sure that it is mechanically sound and that includes that the brakes are all functioning properly and that the engine is going to let you down and you’re driving on a busy motorway. You need to drop the attitude that if it isn’t broken then you don’t need to fix it because the day will come when your vehicle will grind to a halt and you will be stuck in the middle of nowhere with no one to help you.
These are only some of the things that you can do to ensure your safety and your family’s safety as well. It always makes sense to have eyes in the back of your head and to expect the unexpected. Always make sure that you are properly prepared before setting off on any long-term trip and always take your smartphone with you in the event that you need to make an emergency phone call.