Smartphones running stock Android lack a File Manager but here are the best Free File Manager apps for Android you should use
ASUS File Manager – Free
ASUS File Manager delivers a great experience with all of the features you didn’t realize that you wanted. From managing files, to storage, their features all work well together delivering a simple and easy to use app.
By default, ASUS File Manager allows you to copy, move, rename, delete or share files to and from any of your storages. It also lets you browse and access your files by category.
Experience and enjoy these features that ASUS Manager has to offer:
– Your light and savvy file explorer: Search, access, save, move, delete, or share files that are stored in your smart device’s internal storage to or from a microSD card, LAN, or Cloud storage accounts and vice-versa.
– Access files in LAN and SMB: Manage files within your LAN (local area network) and SMB (Samba) network.
– More storage options via Cloud storages: Supports cloud storage accounts such as ASUS WebStorage, Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive.
– Suave and smooth multimedia streamlining: Stream multimedia files such as music or videos or open documents, pictures, or photos stored in any of your Cloud storage accounts
– Save disk space by packaging files: Compress files to save space of your storage and extract compressed files in Zip and RAR formats.
– Easy file browsing: Browse files easily by category right from File Manager’s home screen: images, videos, music, applications, downloaded, and favorites.
– Disk tools: Storage analyzer, recycle bin and hidden cabinet let you manage your disk easily.
Best for overall use
File Explorer – Free
File Explorer is currently the second highest rated file manager on Google Play with over 50 thousand reviews chiming in for a 4.4 rating. That’s because what File Explorer does, it does quite well, delivering an easy and intuitive file manager that lets you easily handle your business.
New “FX Connect” transfers files from phone-to-phone with Wi-Fi Direct. Supports NFC to connect two phones by physically touching their backs together. (requires FX+)
* New “Web Access” enables transfer and management of files and media from your computer’s web browser. You can drag-and-drop entire folders to your phone from your computer, or stream your phone’s music playlists to your computer over Wi-Fi. (requires FX+)
FX is a file explorer built to make working with files and media on your phone or tablet as easy as it is on your computer:
* Productivity-oriented “Home Screen”: Directly access your important folders, media, and cloud storage
* Multiple window support, with dual-view mode to see two windows at once
* “Usage View” mode shows the total size and content makeup of every folder, as you browse and manage files
* Support for most file archive formats
FX protects your privacy:
* No advertisements
* No tracking of user activity: FX does not ever “phone home”
* Built by NextApp, Inc., a US corporation founded in 2002; all proprietary code was developed in-house
The optional FX+ Add-On module enables more functionality:
* Access networked computers, including FTP, SSH FTP, WebDAV, and Windows Networking (SMB)
* Connect to cloud storage including Google Drive, Dropbox, SugarSync, Box, SkyDrive, and OwnCloud
* Manage installed applications, with support for browsing applications based on their required permissions
* Create and explore inside AES-256/AES-128 encrypted zip files
* Browse audio content by artist/album/playlist; manage and organize playlists
* Directly browse photo and video folders
* Encrypted password keyring (use one password to access network and cloud locations)
FX includes a number of built-in editing/viewing applets:
* Text Editor (with undo/redo history, cut/paste, search, and pinch-to-zoom)
* Binary (Hex) Viewer
* Image Viewer
* Media Player and pop-up Audio Player
* Zip, Tar, GZip, Bzip2, 7zip archive creators and extractors
* RAR file extractor
* Shell Script Executor
best for privacy
ASTRO File manager – Free
ASTRO File Manager has been one of the best file managers on Google Play for years now, and with good reason. It’s got an easy to use and intuitive UI which is always a solid plus, but it also comes at the lovely price of free. While ASTRO File Manager includes many of the same features as other file managing apps, it also has a few surprises that nobody else currently includes.
ASTRO File Manager finds and manages all of your files, no matter where they are located.
SD Card, Internal Storage,Dropbox, Google Drive, Facebook, Box & oneDrive, PC, Mac, Linux
Explore your Android device, SD card and cloud storage for that photo or song. With ASTRO’s CLOUD HOPPING (TM), you can move files between cloud storage with a single click.
Updated for Marshmallow support.
The best file search and file exploring experience in areas with spotty or slow network coverage.
ASTRO File Manager’s Task Killer can kill tasks or processes that burn battery life.
ASTRO File Manager’s Backup can easily backup apps in case you lose or change phones.
If you have any problems downloading or using ASTRO, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Forums at http://support.metago.net/forums
If you use Windows File Explorer, then ASTRO File Manager (File Explorer) will look very familiar. On the home screen are the locations where you can find your files:
Internal Storage (Primary)
External Storage (SD Card) – Usually listed by the label name
Cloud Storage – Box, DropBox, oneDrive and Google Drive
Social Media – Facebook
Local Network – PCs, Mac and Linux machine on the same LAN
Additionally, you can set up other SMB or FTP servers. Just select the Manage Locations option from the Action Bar, Press the + and add a new location.
When you select a Location, the files and folders appear. You can change the way they are listed by selecting View Options.
Copy, Move or Delete Files by long pressing them. After the file or folder is highlighted, you can select other files and folders by selecting them. Then select Copy, Move or Delete from the Action bar.If Copying or Moving, you navigate to your desired destination and press Paste.
ASTRO supports 13 languages including: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Arabic, Hindi, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian & Portuguese.
Best for multiple device
Loved it! Don’t forget to share.